Satanic Mechanic Forum Index

<  Performance issues  ~  Got my CR750 Rods today-(see previous thread)

Ron
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Got the rods today. They are definitely beefier in every respect. Thicker under the small end and all the way to the big end. Rod bolts are larger diameter as well. Should be good for whatever displacement I might choose. Obviously never used. Laughing

No way to measure weight, but appear to be of same material so probably heavier than stock. Crying or Very sad

They have bronze bushings in the small end. They say "CR750" on the shafts, but that's probably not copyrighted and anyone could use it. Sure would like to know who made them oh so many years ago.

$150 total with shipping, I think they would be $135 ea. retail, if available, so I'm happy. Laughing

Now to get off my but (and this computer) and make some headway on projects. Maybe this winter. When weather is good, tend to ride my FJR.
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
I had a chance to have a look at an old Russ Collins catalogue, and I found you r rods! They are definitely RC rods - which makes them an even better buy.

I hope to get scans or copies of the catalogue sooner or later and will bring it online.
Ron
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Satanic Mechanic wrote:
I had a chance to have a look at an old Russ Collins catalogue, and I found you r rods! They are definitely RC rods - which makes them an even better buy.

I hope to get scans or copies of the catalogue sooner or later and will bring it online.

That's great news! Laughing I would really like to see the catalogue pictures, when you get a chance. No hurry, I check back a couple of times a week just to look around anyway.
Alberto
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Junior member Junior member
Could you send me a picture of the rods? I'm looking for parts to built up a racer, but have no idea on what they look like.
A friend recomended H beams, that I could only find on Carilo ($$$) rods.
Perhaps the CR rods would do a way out for abusive prices.
Ron
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Alberto:
Here's the link to the eBay auction, with a picture: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4574387275&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

They are essentially stock in basic appearance. But all dimensions are beefier, and the bolt diameter is larger as well. Shocked On a kitchen scale, they are about 1.5oz heavier than stock. Crying or Very sad (stock 9.5oz vs 11oz. I'm sure the amounts are not accurate, but the relativity is.)

Further comments on your other post.
Ron
Alberto
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Ron

Thank you for the link on eBay. This was a once in a time life opportunity!
Congratulations!

These look very much like the CBX rods, but the inscription, of course. Dimensions may be different too.

I used Ebay to get parts myself. It is usually better than any local dealer. Only it takes time and patience until that thing we are looking for being listed.

Regards.
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
Ron,

here's the rod page from the RC catalog:

Interesting that these rods are in fact modified stockers Surprised Even more amazing is the price tag of $25 ea. in exchange - well, those were the days...
(if you download the pic, you will have the full resolution)
Ron
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote
Member Member
Hey thanks! That's really neat. I remember seeing that catalogue oh so many years ago. Russ Collins has a successful fuel injector business for the car crowd now. Soured on bikes, getting off near 200mph didn't help much.

That "CR750" stamp is what mine have. But my rods are definitely beefier, thicker and heavier, 2.5oz, than stockers. I remember the "shot peened, heat treated, 3 times stronger" claim from years ago, so mine must be stronger still. I definitely have the big bolts and the bronze bushing. Now...I just need to put them in a motor!

Thanks again.
Ron
Seeley1
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
Hi Ron, my name is Steve, i am from Austria. I have found your rods on this webside http://www.cyclexchange.net/Engine%20Parts%20Page.htm , maybe this will help you.
With greetings from Austria,
Steve
Ron
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Seeley1 wrote:
Hi Ron, my name is Steve, i am from Austria. I have found your rods on this webside http://www.cyclexchange.net/Engine%20Parts%20Page.htm , maybe this will help you.
With greetings from Austria,
Steve

Hi Steve! Yup that's them. At $499 v $150 I got a good deal. That's a great looking resource for parts and service, thanks! Greetings from Indianapolis, Indiana USA,
Ron
RxmanGriff
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 26 Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Axl,
This may get lengthy so I'll apologize in advance. I'm gathering parts to put together a Henry Abe 900 engine. I have the 900 kit and a plan. My rods are the current unknown issue. I have accumulated 4 RC rods and 4 CR750 rods. Definitely different. Similar in that they all have bronze inserts for the wrist pins. The RC rods appear to be reworked stock rods. The CR750 are NOT reworked stock rods. The RC rods are about the same weight as stock rods. The CR750 rods are about 10% heavier. The RC rods appear to be the nicer rod.

My dilemmas are weights and bolt sizes.
From your RC catalogue you posted it appears I may have 2 high performance rods and 2 super high performance rods in that 2 rods have larger bolts. What size are the bolts in the Super HP rods? I can't make out the number. At what point on the shaft/threads of the bolt would the measurement be taken? It also appears from the catalogue that the 2 type of RC rods are the same except for the bolts, therefore, in theory, could I have a machine shop enlarge the smaller holes and get new matching bolts for all 4 ??? How/where would I find a set of bolts? Or would I be able to use them as is with 2 different size bolts ??
Now, comes my second dilemma - weight. These rods weigh as much as 10gm difference beginning at a low weight of 356gm. In your experience can as much as 10gm be taken off to balance these rods?
As far as my CR750 rods go, they are 10% heavier but possibly not 10% stronger. Thats an unknown. But they also have larger bolts in the entire set. With these being my 2nd choice, I'd still need to drop 10gm off these also. But, again, I'd prefer to use lighter rods.

I'm hoping you can provide some thoughts and solutions to what I have brought up. The last thing i want to do is have an unbalanced EXPENSIVE engine blow up.

Thanks
Jerry
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
Jerry,

no prob with lengthy posts Very Happy On the RC rods, the ones which are shown in the catalog are in fact reworked stock rods. There are other rods around, which are presumeably also made by RC which are not based on stock rods but are from RC's own fabrication.

Finding bolts for them might get tricky. I have no real idea, but a good start would probably be asking Falicon or Carillio - they have bolts for their rods and probably some of theirs will also fit your rods or can be made fit. I would rather use the same, and NEW bolts on all four rods rather than reuse the bolts which came with the rods. These are not supposed to be reused, torqued correctly they will stretch beyond elasticity, i.e. irreversibly.

When balancing the rods, make sure they not only have equal weight but also have equal weight distribution bewteen small and big end. See http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/CorvAIRCRAFT/RodBalance.html for a weighing jig.

Is the 10grams difference with bolts or without them? The different bolts seem to make already a good part of it.
RxmanGriff
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 26 Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Axl,

My RC rods are apparently the super performance rods with the larger bolts. I don't think that 10gm will come off reliably. ARP wants $300US for bolts and to have an "attempt" made to get the weights close by a shop will probably cost another $200. I'm getting into half the cost of a new set of matched Carrillos. RC made the Golden alloy rods also. Totally different from the reworked rods. Wouldn't that be nice to have a matched set. Someone just had 3 listed on EBay. I was glad to have saved the picture. Apparently lost #4 through the case due to a bearing failure. Looks like I might be offering up 4 RC rods and 4 CR750 rods. At least I will provide individual weights if anyone might be interested in trying to match up some sets. The 10gm difference is with the bolts.