Satanic Mechanic Forum Index

<  Performance issues  ~  K6 engine suggestions/ideas

750steve
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
Hello everyone,I have just found this site and what a great source of info...well done.I am about to start a resto on a K6 that is a fairly original bike.I would really like to update the performance while still retaining the "stock" look.I was thinking about a 836 kit but heard somewhere that they can get a lot of blow by and oil blown out of the breather tube,is this because the bores are so thin or is it just a tall tale? I still have the stock HM341 pipes,are they up to the task for improved street performance?Is it possible to fit a modified baffle to improve performance and regain a healthy exhaust note while keeping it all looking stock?The other item is carbs,are they OK or will I need something like a 30 mm to make the most of the better breathing (I will of course fit a mild performance cam as well).Other mods will be electronic ignition and I will try and somehow improve the flow of the airfilter box just to keep it all standard.Any ideas or suggestions you guys have are much appreciated,thanks!
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
Hi and welcome! As for the excessive blow by with an 836 kit - this may happen with any bore but if it does, it is because of a broken ring, wrongly honed cylinders or other reasons. This is not a problem specific to 836 kits, if it happens then usually something is wrong.

If you want to keep the 341 pipes (which is not bad Very Happy ) I would also keep the baffles as they are. Removin them actually costs HP altough it sounds differently.

The stock carbs are ok if you are not aiming for ultimate performance. If you go for 31 Keihins or similar, you will have to adapt the ports to the larger carbs, otherwise your money is spent pretty much useless.

If you want to keep the stock air box, I would suggest a K&N filter element (or no filter at all) and opening up the intake slots in the box.

A mild performance cam is a good idea, as well as a mild porting job just to smoothen the transitition between the ports and the intake stubs.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
750steve
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
Thanks for the info Axl,Iwill go for the 836 kit...I guess I was worried that the talk of excessive blow by on the 836 kits was due to the stock sleeves being bored out so far and becoming too thin and distorting.(especially during our hot summer months here)..I wonder if the Wiseco 836 sleeves are made of different material to the originals or are they just a replacement part?
I also see a set of "old m/cycle co" 4 into 2 exhausts for sale pretty cheap in the USA,they seem really well made and look good,I know they arent stock looking ,but have you ever seen or heard anything about them?
Thanks for the K+N air filter info,it sounds like if I massage the air filter box for better flow,a KN filter,stock carbs,light port job,mild cam (any suggestions of a sweet cam for this engine?),836 kit,HM 341exhaust,and electronic ignition should give me a good increase in performance while keeping things looking original ,if I went 31mm carbs,I guess the stock exhaust would be too restrictive?
With the stock exhaust has anyone ever tried making up a set of balance pipes to join cyls 1to4 and 2to3 together underneath the bike?Im just thinking out loud,I have no idea if there is enough room underneath to do this,just an idea (sort of like a balance pipe on a dual exhaust V8 engine).
Thanks again Axl for you suggestions,
Steve