Satanic Mechanic Forum Index

<  Performance issues  ~  which gear cluster?

Phil
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
Hi everyone! I am poised to buy a close ratio gearbox from Nova Racing but would appreciate some advice before I spend another hat-full of money! Has anybody any experience of racing with a standard box such as the F2 one? I know they jump out of gear and require undercutting but apart from that, what is the verdict? I am hoping to produce a 90BHP engine for competitive F750 racing but can almost build a spare engine for the price of a gearbox! Am I just being tight? Thanks in anticipation - Phil.
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
Hi Phil,

nearly everybody I now who is racing the 750 SOHC is using a standard gearbox. The nova tranny sure is nice but expensive, it's a lot of money for a close ratio gearbox. Undercutting keeps the gears from jumping out, and there are no other known shortcomings of the stock gearbox in racing. If you can spend the money, it is certainly nice to have, and it certainly makes life easier with a really narrow power band, but that is usually not a problem with the 750 engine, even with lots of HP.

Cheers,
Axl
Voxonda
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Problem we had, when we raced with a close ratio box, was the tall 1st. You really had to look out with the start to not overcook the clutch. Have changed a few clutches on a very hot machine. Think "blisters".
Phil
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
I appreciate you advice. It is great to hear from people who actually have real experience - thanks Axl & Rob