Satanic Mechanic Forum Index

<  Seeley Forum (English)  ~  Steering head bearings

Tim2005
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Having just discovered that my lower steering head bearing needs replacing, I thought I'd check what everyone is using on their Seeleys. I have CB900F yokes which are 30mm diameter at the lower bearing, and in the past I have used a Timken taper roller L45449 L45410 and had it bored (expensively) from the 29mm ID it comes as.

The outer diameter is 50.28mm/ 1.98" , and it is pretty tight in the headstock, which seems to measure 50.15mm using a vernier, oddly.

It would be useful to know any alternatives.

Thanks
Voxonda
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Tim2005 wrote:
Having just discovered that my lower steering head bearing needs replacing, I thought I'd check what everyone is using on their Seeleys. I have CB900F yokes which are 30mm diameter at the lower bearing, and in the past I have used a Timken taper roller L45449 L45410 and had it bored (expensively) from the 29mm ID it comes as.

The outer diameter is 50.28mm/ 1.98" , and it is pretty tight in the headstock, which seems to measure 50.15mm using a vernier, oddly.

It would be useful to know any alternatives.

Thanks

Hey Tim, why not change the steering stem? You would be rid of the hassle with the bearing.

Cheers, Rob
Tim2005
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
I wouldn't be keen on having the stem machined down, as it is tubular and not very thick walled either. I guess I could get a new one made up, but it probably is cheaper to get the bearings bored (the top one has to be too, but luckily it's in good condition still) every decade or so when they need replacing. Although I can add it to my mental list of reasons for buying a lathe...
Voxonda
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Tim2005 wrote:
I wouldn't be keen on having the stem machined down, as it is tubular and not very thick walled either. I guess I could get a new one made up, but it probably is cheaper to get the bearings bored (the top one has to be too, but luckily it's in good condition still) every decade or so when they need replacing. Although I can add it to my mental list of reasons for buying a lathe...

A new stem can't be that expensive. Make it from stainless, or even Aluminium, no problem. Done several of that.

Cheers.
Tim2005
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Having just removed the stem from the yoke, it's actually quite sturdy (it's made of non-stainless steel, stock Honda part); the area where the lower race fits is 30mm OD and 22.75mm ID, so the wall thickness is 3.625mm. It is very tempting to have the OD turned down to 29mm (stock bearing size) as the wall thickness would still be 3.125mm; any thoughts on whether this would be too thin?

Thanks
Voxonda
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
Tim2005 wrote:
Having just removed the stem from the yoke, it's actually quite sturdy (it's made of non-stainless steel, stock Honda part); the area where the lower race fits is 30mm OD and 22.75mm ID, so the wall thickness is 3.625mm. It is very tempting to have the OD turned down to 29mm (stock bearing size) as the wall thickness would still be 3.125mm; any thoughts on whether this would be too thin?

Thanks

My hart says go for it, my head says make a new one.

Good luck, Rob
Tim2005
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
My bike engineer felt it was fine to machine down, so that's now done, new bearing fitted and all reassembled. I took the opportunity to strip the old lacquer off the yokes and polish them (a bit), and repaint the fairing bracket, the fairing inside, and the clock mounts while it was all apart, as well as change the fork oil and tidy up some electrics. Took it out for a 10 mile test ride late this morning then rechecked adjustment etc, then went out for a 70-80 mile run around some favourite backroads- all great, first time out on it since Xmas and loved every minute!

Oh, one highly recommended Seeley accessory- a pair of Held Winter Freezer gloves, simply the best winter gloves I have ever owned, on any other gloves I'd maybe have done 25 miles today.