Satanic Mechanic Forum Index

<  Performance issues  ~  F2 Cylinder Head

Mick7504
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
I have a cylinder head from an F2 and would like to know if it can be used with a K motor cylinder. Question
I was reading somewhere that the head and cylinder from the F2 had to be used together. Rolling Eyes
mkramer1121
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Junior member Junior member
I believe that is correct. I want to say that the oil gallery's are different. Also, you need to use F pistons with an F head, otherwise your compression will be too low. The F Pistons are much more domed then the K.
Mick7504
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
Thanks for that information.
I have some 67mm Hi Comp pistons that are going into a K1 motor and will be right up there in the compression department.
The cylinder head and cylinder deck have previously been machined right back almost to to the point of the step being non existant.
At this stage I will need to assemble the top end and check out the valve intersection with these pistons and also consider keeping the comp to a reasonable level.
I purchased this motor as an unknown and am going through the process of trying to ID what work has been done to it previously.
The camshaft is also a mystery.
It has a stamping of SM319 into the end of it.
Once that is dialed I might be able to get some sort of a reference as to what it may be.
RxmanGriff
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 26 Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Lets keep our continents straight here. The F models were shipped to different countries at different times. The same F model designation in UK had different body pieces on it than in the US, etc. Was there even a F3 (1978 US model) imported into the UK?! I'd bet that the F0 aka 75 750 K0 Super Sport was only shipped to the US. Hopefully you'll see where I'm coming from.

SO if you are using a 34mm intake F2/F3 head then you need to use the corresponding cylinders with it. That is unless you want to do some major work. Oil returns issues as MKramer mentioned. You can put a K0 through K8 model or 75 F0 / 76 F1 model head AND cylinders on a 77 F2/78 F3 engine bottom end. It is not wise to mix and match outside this. If you want to use big valves you might be better off having an earlier K/F head modified with larger intake valves and ported while you're at it. The earlier heads do not have the valve angle wear issues like the F2/F3 big valve heads do. Don't think it's really necessary to have the larger exhaust valves like Honda put on the F2/F3 head. The combination of larger intakes AND larger exhaust valves are what caused the redesigned valve angles with their corresponding premature wear issues and redisgned piston tops. If you want to bore out a F2/F3 engine to take advantage of the larger valves then get in touch with Buzz at Dynoman.net. He has a 836 kit for this.

Aren't you glad you asked.
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
You may use the F2/F3 or K7/K8 head on earlier barrels, but you have to plug the oil return passages between cylinders 1/2 and 3/4 in the head. The easiest is to use matching head and cylinders. All the earlier heads can be used with any cylinders - it doesn't hurt if the return passages in the cylinder are unused.
Mick7504
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
Thanks for that information Axl.
You guys are a great help.
Phil
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
I intend to use an F2 bottom end with K6 head and cylinder - is this combination OK? Phil
RxmanGriff
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 26 Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Yes, just be sure to use the K6 pistons also.
Voxonda
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
Member Member
Phil will be using a 836, so no problem.