Satanic Mechanic Forum Index

<  Performance issues  ~  R.C. Engineering Kit Honda CB750

treetrimmer
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Rookie Rookie
Hi,
I was in the process of building a CB750 Cafe Racer when I came across your site. Lot's of cool stuff. Anyway in my search for parts for my bike I came across an additional engine with some R.C. Engineering parts. The head is stamped RC Engineering, has red valve spring retainers and a cam stamped R3. The cylinders have been bored out with 70mm liners. Lots of machine work on the cases too. Apparently the story is that the engine was in a chopper that broke the chain and broke the cases after very little use. The crank also has the aluminum golden rods. Would this be a good set up for my bike as the parts have almost no time on them? As my wife said when she walked by the dissassembled engine "are those new"?
Just wondering what the displacement is on this kit and what kind of performance and reliability I can expect (along with using a modren chain1) Very Happy Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeff
[/img][/url]
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
Hi Jeff,
welcome to the forum! Looks like a rare find you have there - maybe it's even one of RC's Cobra engines? With 70mm bore, you should have 970cc, and if it really is a cobra engine, you may expect around 100HP out of it - see http://www.hondahog.com/RCeng_01.htm! The Cobra did have the golden aluminum rods...

I would say why not go ahead and use it as it is - if it is like new, it should also run as such Very Happy As to reliability, it is hard to guess but you probably won't get as much miles on it as with a stock engine, but there is a price to pay for performance. I would suggest using good motorcycle oil, attaching an oil cooler and a oil temp gauge, and warm up the engine carefully each time - like not more than 4000 RPM until the oil reaches 170 F. A careful warm up is the key to long engine life for any engine, BTW...

Yes, and use a good modern O-ring chain, like Tsubaki or DID Smile

All the best!